Pages

July 07, 2005

Is this a hobby? Or an OBSESSION!?

Our family has recently taken an interest in having a dvd collection. It started out that we would get a new movie every week. Now, we get 5-6 a week and it's getting out of hand!!??

I'll prove it.

We're going to take a tour around the house, starting with my room. So, i can show you how bad it is.

1. Here's my room! Just a few must-haves. Also, dust and a cheapy plywood bookshelf that i don't get rid of because it's the perfect size. See...I'm conserving.


2. Next, the family room. These are only dvd's that have been ok'd for kiddie company. We don't want them stumbling onto any bad stuff. :)

Don't forget these guys!


3. Now, the playroom....a few more kiddie proof selections.

OK...WE'RE UP TO ABOUT 60. I COUNTED THEM IN THE LITTLE PICTURES...SO I'M SURE I'M OFF. BUT KEEP COUNTING!! THIS IS MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY.

4. Dad's office.

On top of dad's bookshelf...

And on dad's "credenza" ...

(when dad was picking out his furniture, he said credenza a MILLION times. lol...we made fun of him "THat's what it's called!!" he would say).....

OK...ABOUT 95.. KEEP COUNTING!!

Now....THE MOTHER LOAD!!

5. This is the master living room's collection.

The top shelf is 2 rows deep. One....&.....two.











The second shelf does not have 2 rows. It has 3!!!

One.......two........&.....three.





I only took one picture of the bottem shelf.

I bet your thinking that's the end of the Motherload...but you're wrong. This is what wouldn't fit in the shelves.

I'VE LOST COUNT. YOU CAN TRY...BUT I WON'T. I HAVE THE FINAL GUESSTIMATION FROM MOM AND BROTHER WHEN THEY DID INVENTORY.

That's a lot of dvd's...but there are still a few stragglers that I will share.....

On dad's night stand.....

.......and by mom and dad's tv.

We have over 300. And that is sad!

PLEASE, any suggestions on how to organize them??

21 comments:

Humor Girl said...

Jeremy- That's what we'll probably have to resort to.

Unknown said...

1. First company off the goggle list. DING!
2. Do you really watch them all? Donate to Good Will (AmVets/PurpleHeart/SalvationArmy/InsertYourCharityHere)

Joe said...

I think this qualifies as an obsession.

...and no dvd's on your nightstand?

millennium hippies said...

my question is what do you do for a living that you can afford to buy a new dvd every day!? :)

Out Of Jersey said...

Don't put them in a carrying case! It'll scratch them up. I did that with my CD's initially and it ruined them.

And do yourself a favor, go through and sell them at a used CD/DVD store. Being a recovering TV addict (this is not a joke, I watched TV for 12 - 15 hours a day at least.) Pick up a book, go for a walk, take an art course, anything just turn off that darned TV.

Nanette said...

There are worse obsessions! Now you are going to have to buy a fancy entertainment center (movie screen and rumble seats) to match all of those dvds.

Humor Girl said...

mb- wow..we're not alone. :) And why no blog??

mg- good link. And we're not sure if we want to watch them all..we don't know what we have! haha

midwest-hick- yes, it is.

Joe- I agree. And nope, only books on my nightstand.

millenium hippies- We get GREAT deals on them...practically free! :)

The Cube- We really don't watch that much tv! I swear! But, I am on my comptuer a lot...I think i should turn that off first!

Nanette- This is true...Now you've got me thinking. :)

Kim said...

That looks like my parents' house. They live in CA and everytime I visit they have more dvds! They get them for dirt cheap too. I don't know if I can criticize - I have a big collection of books. I've been trying to use the library more though... lol

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. I have a DVD and CD obsession -- just ask Teresa! I don't spend all day watching them, but I do have them for when I want to watch. I like a variety to choose from.

barefeetbilly said...

Over 300 DVD! at an average of 1 hr. and 30 mins. each it would take 37.5 days of veiwing to see that many movies!That is over 1 month.

If each movie was $7.50 it cost $2250.00 to purchase all 300. G-Whiz cease and desist already. Think of all the Bioré pore strips $2250.00 would buy!

barefeetbilly said...

As far as organizing them you would save alot of space by storing them for the next 500 years at the local land fill:)

Humor Girl said...

Kim- Good...because this is my parents house..So we are in the same boat.

Lynn- Exactly! Our problem now, we can never find the dvd's when we want them! haha

Billy- Whoa! Hold your fire! lol..I was taking the responsibility for my family...but this obsession is mostly daddio. He loves movies...and wants "All the Classics"

Now you may feel free to glance through the pictures and find ALL the movies that ARE NOT classics. :) I know.

Humor Girl said...

Billy- HAHA...i just saw your second comment.

"lol"...that's all i can come up with.

millennium hippies said...

okay so my next question would be where do you get practically free dvds? ;)

oh and i second the advice NOT to put them into albums. i have hundreds of cd's that i put into albums so that i could get rid of the plastic clutter. most of my cds are scratched now and skip. major major bummer...

Memphis said...

Wow, we have a DVD collection, a CD collection, a VHS collection, and way too many books and magazines, but I don't think we've got as many DVDs as you guys. You're going to end up like us, in need of a separate room that is just a "library" where all of that goes and the room is basically just shelves and a desk. Next house we build ...

Anonymous said...

Crazy, girl. Ok, so go on spun.com. Instead of buying from here on out, trade them in and get the new one free. From what I can see, you guys will be able to get new dvd's for zero cost for the next . . . hmmm . . . ten years. Just trade in those babies.

{LyndsD} said...

My good Lord that is a lot of movies... Movie Night? LOL Wish I could help figure a way to organize but I am sure it wouldn't stay that way long... it never does in my house! Good Luck for sure!

Amanda said...

I suggest, breaking them down into genres (horror, comedy, romance, etc), then alphabetizing them.

I actually did this with my cd collectiom.

Yes, i am almost as boring as i sound.

SmileDragon said...

Get NetFlix. This way you can watch them and send them back. Very inexpensive for the amount of movies you get, if you rotate correctly. Watch one a day and put it in the mail the next morning, if you rotate like this you will basically get one new movie a day, except Sundays. Hope that helps. That's what me and my hubby ended up having to do. Our DVD obsession was getting OUT OF CONTROL!

Christine said...

I alphebetize mine by title, but then I certainly don't have that many! :)

You know, I used to never buy a movie unless it was one I just loved, but when I realized for the same price we'd pay for the two of us to go to a movie we could just wait and buy the DVD, I didn't feel so bad about spending the money on them.

Anonymous said...

We have about that many DVD's also, and then all of the VHS we have from before DVD's were big...needless to say there are A LOT.

Anyway, I type them all into Microsoft word with the rating and then sort them alphabetically on the document.

Right now they are a mess in the cabinet, but we try to sort them by kid friendly (PG or G) and then all other ratings.